Single Use Plastics (SUP)
for food packaging in EU
The European Union has taken steps to address the environmental issues associated with single-use plastics, like single serve portion packs for condiments.
The main goals of the SUP initiatives are:
1. Reduce plastic pollution: The EU aimed to reduce the environmental impact of single-use plastics, particularly their contribution to marine litter.
2. Waste reduction: The legislation aims to reduce the consumption of single-use plastics and promote more sustainable alternatives. This includes measures to limit the use of certain single-use plastic products where alternatives are readily available.
3. Extended producer responsibility (EPR): The legislation encourages producers of plastic products to take greater responsibility for their products throughout their lifecycle. This can include measures like product labeling, collection and recycling schemes, and financial contributions to clean-up efforts.
4. Promotion of sustainable alternatives: The EU seeks to promote the use of sustainable alternatives to single-use plastics, such as reusable and biodegradable materials.
5. Contribution to circular economy: The legislation aligns with the EU's broader goals of transitioning towards a circular economy, where materials are reused and recycled, reducing the need for virgin plastics.
SUP and Liquido d'Oro portion packs
The SUP legislation makes a distinction between:
- flexible packaging, such as our sachets,
- rigid packaging, such as our dosettes,
- and whether the packaging is consumed immediately,
- or prepared at home.
- Liquido d’Oro single serve condiments are subject to SUP legislation if they are consumed directly and the size is smaller than 60 gr.
- When they are used at home, during the preparation of a meal, they are not subject to the SUP legislation.
- When a portion size is bigger than 60 gr. they are not covered by the SUP legislation.
Liquido d’Oro’s packaging goals
At Liquido d’Oro we make condiments and pack them in perfect portions and the most environmentally friendly packaging we can find. Big flavours, zero waste. That’s our mission.
Our goals for packaging are:
1. Reduce packaging
2. Replace multi-layered plastics to mono-layered plastic 2023-2024
3. Include disposal advice into the design 2023
4. Introduce home-compostable packaging 2024
5. Only use home-compostable packaging 2030
This summary is our interpretation of the SUP legislation we believe apply to our products.
The SUP legislation is constantly subject to change.